This policy document may be amended in the future to ensure ongoing compliance with all applicable regulations in the event of their amendment or update.
The collected information
When you make a reservation, you are asked for your name and email address. You might also be asked for your home address, telephone number, payment information and the names of guests travelling with you.
To make it easier to manage your reservations, you can open a user account. This allows you to save your personal settings, review previous bookings and manage future reservations.
When you visit our websites, even if you do not make a reservation, we may collect certain information, such as your IP address, which browser you’re using, and information about your computer’s operating system, application version, language settings and pages that have been shown to you. If you are using a mobile device, we might also collect data that identifies your mobile device, device-specific settings and characteristics and latitude/longitude details. When you make a reservation, our system registers through which means and from which websites you have made your reservation.
We may also receive information about you when you use certain social media services.
How do we use the collected information
Reservations: First and foremost, we use your personal data to complete and administer your online reservation and forward your reservation details to the boat provider where you have booked your boat.
Customer service: We provide customer service from our local office. Sharing your details with our customer service staff allows us to respond when you need us – including helping you to find appropriate boat and responding to any questions you might have about your reservation.
Account administration: We offer a user account facility on our website. We use the information you give us to administer this, allowing you to manage your bookings, take advantage of special offers, make future reservations more easily and manage your personal settings such as language preference.
Marketing activities: We also use your information for marketing activities, as permitted by law. For example:
- When you make a reservation with us or set up a user account, we may use your contact information to send you news of similar travel-related products and services. With your consent we may also send you other regular newsletters by email. You can opt out, or unsubscribe, from marketing communications at any time using the “Unsubscribe” link in each newsletter, or you can administer your subscriptions through your account (if you’ve created one).
- Based on the information you share with us, individualized offers may be shown to you on the website, in mobile apps or on third-party websites, including social media sites. These might be offers that you can book directly on the Sailing.house website, or third-party offers or products we think you might find interesting.
Other communications: There may be other times when we get in touch by email, by post, by phone or by texting you, depending on the contact information you share with us. There could be a number of reasons for this:
- We may need to respond to and handle requests you have made.
- If you have not finalised a reservation online, we may email you a reminder to continue with your reservation. We believe that this additional service is useful to you because it allows you to carry on with a reservation without having to search for the boat again or fill in all the reservation details from scratch.
- When you use our services, we may send you a questionnaire or invite you to provide a review about your experience with Sailing.house.
- We may also send you other material related to your reservations, such as how to contact Sailing.house if you need assistance while you are away, and information that we feel might be useful to you in planning your trip or getting the best out of your stay. We may also send you material related to upcoming reservations or a summary of previous reservations you made through Sailing.house.
Market research: We sometimes ask our customers to take part in market research. Any additional personal details that you give us as part of the market research will be used only with your consent.
Fraud detection and prevention: We may use personal data for the detection and prevention of fraud and other illegal or unwanted activities.
Improving our services: Finally, we use personal data for analytical purposes, to improve our services, to enhance the user experience, and to improve the functionality and quality of our online travel services.
How do we use the social media?
We use social media to promote our boat provider’s boats and to promote, improve and facilitate our own services. For example, we have integrated social media plugins into the website website. So when you click on one of the buttons and register with your social media account, information is shared with your social media provider, and possibly presented on your social media profile to be shared with others in your network.
In addition to implementing these buttons, Sailing.house uses social media by maintaining accounts on several social media sites. These social media services may allow you to share information with Sailing.house. When you register with a social media app, you will be told which information will be shared with us. The information you choose to share with us may include the basic information that’s available in your social media profile, email address, status updates and your list of friends. This information is necessary to create a unique user experience either in the app itself or on our websites. It facilitates such things as personalising our website to suit your needs, connecting you with your friends on travel destinations and analysing and enhancing our travel-related services.
We may also enable you to sign in to Sailing.house services with your social media accounts. Your social media provider will be able to tell you more about how they use and process your data in such cases.
How do we share your data with third parties?
In certain circumstances, we may share your personal data with third parties.
The boat you booked: In order to complete your reservation, we need to transfer relevant reservation details to the boat provider of the boat you have booked. This may include information such as your name, your contact details, your payment details, the names of guests travelling with you and any preferences you specified when making a booking. This information may also be used by Sailing.house or the boat providers to give you personalised offers related to the reservation. If you have a query about your reservation, we may contact the boat provider and ask them to handle your request.
Third-party service providers: We may use service providers (such as “data processors”) to process your personal data strictly on our behalf. This processing would be for purposes such as facilitating reservation payments, sending out marketing material or for analytical support services. These processors are bound by confidentiality clauses and are not allowed to use your personal data for their own purposes or any other purpose.
Competent authorities: We disclose personal data to law enforcement and other governmental authorities insofar as it is required by law or is strictly necessary for the prevention, detection or prosecution of criminal acts and fraud.
A cookie is a small amount of data that is placed in the browser of your computer or on your mobile device. This Privacy and Cookies Policy applies to cookies and similar technologies (hereafter together referred to as “cookies”).
Cookies allow you to be recognised as the same user across the pages of a website. Cookies also allow your choices to be remembered – choices such as the language you prefer, the currency you use and your search criteria. They will also make sure you are recognised when you return to a website.
- To make our website function correctly.
- To remember your preferences and to help you to use our website efficiently and effectively, for example by remembering your preferred language.
- We also use third-party cookies as well as our own to display personalised advertisements on our websites and on other websites. This is called “retargeting,” and it is based on browsing activities, such as the destinations you have been searching for, the boats you have viewed and the prices you have been shown.
Using your browser settings in, for example, Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox or Chrome, you can set which cookies to accept and which to reject. Where you find these settings depends on which browser you use.
If you have any questions or requests concerning the personal information we keep, you cam always contact us by sending an email to email@example.com with ‘Personal information’ in the subject line. However, we may need to retain certain information, for example for legal or administrative purposes, such as record keeping or to detect fraudulent activities.